A team of geologists and paleontologists have found a 135-million year old dinosaur fossil in Kutch, Gujarat. Pieces of bones of the hip and two legs that have been found are around two feet long, suggesting that the dinosaur was at least 10 to 15 metre in length.
Here are some points you must know:
- The dinosaur fossil is at least 135 million years old, which makes it the oldest dinosaur fossil found in this century.
- The specimen of the fossil suggests that the dinosaur was a herbivore and belonged to the Jurassic era, which started 240 million years ago and ended around 135 million years ago.
- During this period, India, Sri Lanka and Madagascar were part of one huge land mass and the Himalayas were yet to be formed.
- The species of the dinosaur has not been confirmed yet, however, Dhiraj Kumar Pandey, palaeontologist at the University of Jaipur and a member of the team of discoverers, suggested that it might belong to the Camarasaurus family.
- The specimen will be sent to the paleontology institute in Munich to confirm the genus and species of the fossil.
- Students and professors from the Department of Geology at the Krantiguru Shyamji Krishna Verma Kutch University (SKVKU) were a part of the team.
- German experts Franz T. Fuersich and his wife Valsamma were also a part of the team. In fact, they were the first ones to find the fossil bones.